Previous MTCC Caribbean Event
Tuesday, 13 March 2018 - Wednesday, 14 March 2018
MTCC-Caribbean 2nd National Workshop (1st Eastern Sub-regional), Antigua
Type of activity:
Sub-Regional Event and Workshop
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort, Bolans Village, Antigua
The 1st Eastern Sub-Regional workshop served as a medium for the exchange of knowledge, ideas and experiences concerning the reduction of emissions from ships. Valuable feedback and information was obtained from the territories of the eastern sub-region. The workshop’s main outcomes included;
- Confirmation of preliminary baselines for the existing regional and national legal frameworks;
- Apprising participants of existing legal and institutional instruments that can be leveraged to facilitate compliance with MARPOL Annex VI;
- Approaches to reducing GHG emissions from ships specific to the region;
- Determining existing reporting systems for the eastern sub-region territories and integration of MTCC Caribbean’s data collection form;
- Determining the engagement strategies to enhance data collection in eastern sub-region;
- Identification of key stakeholders that will be targeted for capacity building via webinars; and
- Enabling greater communication and information sharing specifically targeting the Caribbean Maritime Inspection Centre (CMIC) database manager and the Secretariat of the CMOU.
On completion of the workshop, all participants emphasized the value the workshop had brought to the region. Moreover, the dynamic representatives pledged to support the MTCC in raising awareness and visibility of the project and its objectives.